Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Linda's viewpoint....

Hello! St. Augustine was quaint (I know I'm over-using that word), but we really wanted to get out of Florida. I woke up Tues. am to the smell of a brush fire- went outside and my eyes started to burn from the smoke filling the skies. As we made our way past heavy currents, bridges, dolphins, inlets from the Atlantic- the smoke got so thick that we questioned whether or not it was fog. Fog in our little boat would be trecherous. But we progressed on and made it to Amelia Island. We didn't really have time to explore, but it was a quiet little marina. Our boat & canvas were COVERED in ashes the next am. Even Ken could smell the smoke! We had a great ride to Brunswick, GA- the water was mostly flat and calm. We passed a Navy sub base, a paper mill, and lots more dolphins! We still see palm trees and pelicans. Now that we've left Florida, I think we both feel a sense of "Let's get this trip going!" We just talked with a professional Captain, and he gave us advice on which marinas to stay at all the way home. It really makes it feel like we're a LONG way away when you break it down night by night. But Brunswick is "quaint" and the heads are clean. Today we saw 7 "Homeland Security" patrol boats around the bridge near our marina- we presume doing a training drill. The smoke is now South of us-and Ken must be much more tasty to the no-see-ums, since I've only seen one so far! (Wish me luck!) Love to all- Linda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's 3:20 AM. Is anyone there? I should be in bed. But no, I have to be here saving lives. So sleep on my good family and dream of blue water and wind at your back.

Solveig said...

Hi! We could have used your boating skills around here this week. Route 4 was closed for two days because of flooding. I wish you were here to walk down to our bog and see how high the water is. This sun is finally out today and it looks like it might be sunny all weekend!! It is about time!! Miss you.....love, Solveig