Saturday, February 2, 2008

We're baaaack!

An update on our trip. We have arrived in Fort Myers Beach, FL. Actually, we arrived yesterday, Friday, at about 4:00pm. The weather is 80 degrees and sunny today, with a light wind and no rain in the forecast. We traveled 1730 miles from CT to NC to FL. The Honda CRV, loaded with a month’s worth of supplies and 2 bicycles, averaged 27.2 miles per gallon. We took the inland route thru PA and VA and had a really nice trip. We visited with Dave for 2 days and met his girlfriend, Emily. Dave is extremely busy this time of year and was in courses most of the day. We met for dinner and breakfasts. It was wonderful to meet Emily. She is really a terrific person! Dave is very fortunate to have such a good friend. After leaving Dave we headed to Linda’s cousins - all of whom live in Southport, NC. Once again, the visit was punctuated with a lot of family, laughter, and good times. We then left and traveled to FL - arriving in 2 more days. It should be noted that I left my cell phone in the hotel in NC and Dave had to go get it and mail it to me. I’ll be glad when I finally receive it. (Call Linda’s cell if you need to get in touch with us.)
Today, Saturday, was a day of just resting and getting used to not being in the car. I washed the car, fixed Dave’s bike so it is rideable and Linda walked the beach and looked for shells.
My brother is arriving today at 7:40 pm to stay for the next week. Weather looks great for the whole week - I’m very glad because weather in Feb. can be very iffy. The water is 74 degrees right now and Linda and Cory went for a dip today. Cory still isn’t talking to Linda!
I have brought the computer to the airport for the free wi-fi so I can keep current with the bills - at least the ones that I do on-line.
Right now Cory is trying to blend into the white tile floor so that we don’t get kicked out of the airport. There’s a big sign that no dogs are allowed unless they are service dogs. No one has bothered us yet. It’s possible that they think I am handicapped. I forgot my cheater reading glasses so I’m wearing my sunglasses to type this. It’s dark outside and I have sunglasses on - good enough for homeland security, I guess. I’ve just been told by Linda that Tom’s plane has been delayed another 45 minutes! Ken
Linda here- The trip down was very enjoyable- VA is beautiful. We passed thru Amish country & I saw a horse pulling the black carriage you typically think of in Amish land. The rolling hilled farms were beautiful. I saw a red-tailed hawk as he was landing on a tree branch close to the road. We did not go on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but we went over a mountain pass road about 11-12 miles long. It was breath-taking! I’m glad Ken was driving!! There were lots of “soft shoulders”! Apparently OSHA has not found out about this road yet! It was great to spend time with Dave, and to finally meet Emily. It was also great to spend time with my cousins and see my 89 year-old Aunt Pearl. We just happened to arrive on her birthday!! We have also been reminiscing about last year’s trip, and how we were getting ready for the Intracoastal- having no idea what lay before us! This year we have lots of beach time before us! Love to all! Linda

2 comments:

Solveig said...

YEA!!!!
You are back on-line!! Bring on the pictures!!
Miss you.......
Love, Solveig

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your email. Ditto to Solveig's post....bring on the pictures! Still dreaming about the possibility of visiting Ft. Meyers Beach in September/October...what a treat that would be.

Why is Cory mad at Linda? Was he sent to bed too early one night?

Miss you lots...email if you can but I'll keep checking your blog.

Love,
Bree